We have used Microsoft SQL Server, MY SQL and Oracle in many projects.
Design and Development
- Design of relational data model from application software requirement
- Query optimization while handling huge amounts of data (design of indexes)
- Extensive use of views, temporary tables, stored procedures, user-defined functions, triggers on a case-by-case basis
- Use of distributed transaction for multiple connectors as well as single connector transaction with advanced features like save-points
- Use of full text search capabilities
- Use of proprietary database technologies like MS SQL Server CLR Stored Procedure programming
- Design of multidimensional schema from the transactional database
- Design of MDX queries
- Use of sharding, re-partitioning, bulk copy scripts
Deployment and maintenance
- Deployment of federative servers
- Deployment of HA/Failover
- Monitoring databases with the help of network management protocols like SNMP/WMI
- Database maintenance (like shrinking with DBCC commands for MS SQL Server)
- Security arrangements (schema and access control)
- Back-up scheduling
- Automated ETLM (mainly with the help of Microsoft DTS and custom codebases)
We have used in-memory databases like HSQL DB for on-demand business analytics, for low/medium data volumes and to cater for high performance requirements
Document Oriented/KV Database
We have used Mongo-DB in a couple of projects for higher data retrieval performance.
We have used BaseX XML DB engine for advanced XQuery and full text queries on very large xml files.